Sunday, November 7, 2010

Miami's Quarterback Question...



Feels SO good to be blogging again!

It's been a while. In the interest of explanation--- I just moved and have been without high speed for a week.

The Canes have been without Jacory Harris for a week--- and looked good.

So, should the U stick with Stephen Morris (not pictured)?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what pissed me off watching Saturday's game.

Mark Whipple made a reasonable gameplan.

He used the running game extensively, and simplified the playbook to reasonable/makeable passing plays for the true Freshman.

And shockingly--- Miami looked more efficient.

Why didn't Whipple do that sooner?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The old--- chuck it 30 yards downfield and hope the receiver makes a play-- philosophy, needs to go.

Miami's play-makers are talented (specifically Leonard Hankerson and Travis Benjamin)... But they're not Andre Johnson and Santana Moss.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Jacory stops seeing stars, I'm not sure if I want Morris or I want Harris.

I do know I want this version of Whipple.

I want the guy who doesn't try to get too cute for his own good.

I want the guy who uses his rushing attack.

I want the guy who doesn't encourage his QB to throw into triple-coverage.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now to the Randy Shannon issue.

During games I ask myself the following question: Do the Hurricanes look like a well-coached team?

When they burn all three timeouts in the 3rd quarter--- is that the trait of a well-coached team?

When they consistently have CRUCIAL penalties against them and constantly shoot themselves in the foot--- is that a well-coached team?

When the alleged talent level isn't close to the performance on the field--- is it a well-coached team?

You don't need to go much deeper than that.

All the staying-out-of-trouble stuff and the academic stuff are great.

That is, if your name is Donna Shalala.

But when you have an empty student section--- and a demoralized fan base--- it's hard to defend Randy.

At least the freshman QB looked good.

2 comments:

  1. I remember a few freshmen QBs looking good. Then Shannon/Whipple get to them and we get Jacoried. There was a good article in the Sentinel a few days back about how dysfunctional the playcalling is, which I'm sure is part of the reason for the regression we see with all the promising players. Every RS team has been better at the beginning of the season and gotten progressively worse. My question is if they are worse as a squad now of predominantly Juniors, then they were as freshmen. I think the team of 2008 beats this group....

    ReplyDelete